Welcome to our School
We are a very small, happy learning community set on the West Coast of Cumbria. Learning is at the very heart of everything we do and we work really hard to make sure that all our students are excited and curious about the world about them and develop the life skills they will need to be happy, successful, confident and resilient young people.
Since becoming the Headteacher in September 2004 I have seen the school develop into a vibrant and exciting learning community and I am proud and privileged to lead the dedicated and hardworking staff and students.
At Beacon Hill we consider that the success of the school lies in striving for the very highest achievements - 'Reaching for the Stars' - and we set high expectations, encouraging all our students to go further in all areas.
We are very proud of our inclusive approach and our excellent pastoral care based on strong student identity and friendship. Our students enjoy coming to school, have positive attitudes, participate in a wide range of extra-curricular activities and many achieve more than they first thought possible!
Behaviour in and around the school is good and we expect nothing less! Our aim is to encourage responsible, cooperative behaviour and self-discipline for everyone.
Our students are taught in small classes with excellent facilities and follow a traditional curriculum enabling them to leave school at sixteen with the best choices, whether that is a local sixth form, apprenticeship and or college. We are proud that we have the lowest NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) figure in the area and have achieved this over the last ten years!
Our success depends on providing inspirational teaching and learning, highly skilled learning support staff and in the close working relationships that we have with our parents. We do all we can to develop and encourage this.
We believe our school is outward looking and it is our vision that all young people at Beacon Hill will benefit greatly from the strong partnerships and sense of common purpose which the school has developed with our parents, local and regional communities.
This website contains important information about our school, our policies and our expectations of our students. We hope that it will provide you with useful information whether you are a student, parent, member of staff, governor or a member of the public simply interested in finding out more about our unique school.
Mrs J. Richardson
YR11 Easter Revision School
In addition to the above timetable of revision classes organised during the Easter holidays for YR11, Mr Rajput will also hold a Science session open to all year 11 students on Tuesday 15th April from 11am to 3.30pm. Year 11 students find themselves very close to their GCSE examinations and must ensure that they are revising hard.
French Trip Meeting
All parents/guardians and students are invited to an information meeting on Thursday 24th April at 6pm in the French classroom. During the meeting there will be an opportunity to ask any questions, find out more about the French trip (Thursday 15th - Tuesday 20th May 2014) and meet the staff accompanying the trip.
Read for My School
Read for my school has now closed. A grand total of 339 books were registered as having been read by year 7 & 8 students. Well done to all who have taken part. Any student who has read 8 or more books will be registered to be included in a national draw to win a prize.
Parent Governor Vacancies
We currently have 2 parent governor vacancies - an exciting opportunity to play a part in the running of our school. Governors spend on average 3 hours per school month either at meetings or related activities such as preparatory reading. Interested please contact Mrs M Batchelor, Clerk to the Governors via the school.
Homework. Too little? Too Much?
Our homework policy is up for renewal and we plan on making some changes. We would like to hear your views about homework particularly the amount set and the frequency. These will then be taken into consideration when we review the policy. If you would like to contribute to this discussion please let the school have your views before the end of May either in writing or by email.
Parent View gives you the chance to tell us and Ofsted what you think about your child's school. Parent View asks for your opinion on many different aspects from the quality of teaching, to dealing with bullying. By sharing your views you will be helping your child's school to improve. You will also be able to see what other parents have said about your child's school. Or, if you want to, view the results for any school in England.
- 03/04/14 French Trip Meeting
- 03/04/14 French Trip Medication
- 01/04/14 Easter
- 01/04/14 Commando Challenge
- 26/03/14 Cycle Challenge
- 25/03/14 Chair of Governors Strike Action
- 30/01/14 French Trip dates etc update
- January 2014 - KS4 Girls' Workshops
- 22/01/14 YR9-11 Liverpool cancellation and substitute York Trip
- Christmas & Mock Results 2013
- 09/10/13 French Trip initial letter
- 15/11/13 Trips 2013-2014
- 16/10/13 Awards Evening Helpers
- 16/10/13 Pupil Premium funding for Trips & Visits
- 09/10/13 Awards Evening Invitation
- 16/10/13 Strike Action Update
- 08/10/13 Strike Action
- 01/10/13 War Horse Theatre Trip
- 16/09/13 September 2013 Information
- 11/09/13 Local Authority Children's Services Leave in Term Time
- Data Collection
- Ofsted Report May 2013 Letter to Parents
- 24/01/14 Read For My School
- 02/10/13 Castle Head Kit List
- 02/10/13 Castle Head Residential
- 05/09/13 YR7 Assessment, Reporting & Parent Evenings
- 11/03/14 L2L Humanities Samye Ling Monastary
- 24/01/14 Read For My School
- 05/09/13 YR8 Assessment, Reporting & Parent Evenings
- 05/03/15 Science Concerns
- 30/01/14 Science BTEC exam
- 07/01/14 YR10 Parents Evening
- 19/10/13 Internal Exams
- 05/09/13 YR10 Assessment, Reporting & Parent Evenings
- 02/04/14 Easter Revision School
- 27/03/14 Food Technology Intervention A in a Day
- 27/03/14 Food Technology Intervention Falling Behind
- 05/03/15 Science Concerns
- 26/02/14 English & Maths Revision Evening new date
- 12/02/14 English & Maths Revision Evening
- 10/02/14 Food Technology 'A in a Day'
- 31/01/14 Science BTEC & GCSE Exam Timetable
- January 2014 Next Steps Evening
- 17/12/13 Mock Results Afternoon
- 15/11/13 YR11 Mock Exams and Results Day
- 24/09/13 BTEC Science
- 18/09/13 History Film Club
- 05/09/13 YR11 Assessment, Reporting & Parent Evenings
- 15/05/13 Post 16 Transport Assistance
- 15/05/13 Raising the Participation Age Information for Students
- 15/05/13 Raising the Participation Age Information for Parents
Here you will find Beacon Hill's newsletters. Please contact us if you have any material that we could include.
- Spring 2014
- Autumn 2013 2nd edition
- Autumn 2013 1st edition
- Summer 2013 2nd edition
- Summer 2013 1st edition
- Spring 2013
- Autumn 2012 Christmas edition
- Autumn 2012 1st edition
- Summer 2012 2nd edition
- Summer 2012 1st edition
- Spring 2012 Bumper Edition
- Christmas 2011
- Autumn 2011 1st edition
- Summer 2011 - Bumper Edition
- Spring 2011
- Autumn 2010 2nd edition
- Autumn 2010 1st edition
- Summer 2010 2nd edition
- Summer 2010 1st edition
- Spring 2010
- Autumn 2009 2nd edition
- Autumn 2009 1st edition
- Summer 2009 2nd edition
- Summer 2009 1st edition
- Spring 2009
- Autumn 2008 2nd edition
- Autumn 2008 1st edition