EDUQAS FOOD AND NUTRITION
The WJEC Eduqas GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition equips learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills required to cook and apply the principles of food science, nutrition and healthy eating. It encourages learners to cook, enables them to make informed decisions about food and nutrition and allows them to acquire knowledge in order to be able to feed themselves and others affordably and nutritiously, now and later in life.
This specification has been designed to enable centres to concentrate on innovative delivery of the course whilst creating a balance between practical and theoretical knowledge and understanding. The layout of the content into six areas of content promotes flexibility of delivery, and releasing two tasks for each of the assessments that constitute the non-examination assessment will ensure learners are able to complete assessments suitable to their needs and that of the centre
By studying food preparation and nutrition learners will:
- Be able to demonstrate effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking a variety of food commodities whilst using different cooking techniques and equipment.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and chemical characteristics of food as well as a sound knowledge of the nutritional content of food and drinks.
- Understand the relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health.
- Understand the economic, environmental, ethical and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes and diet and health choices.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and microbiological food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food.
- Understand and explore a range of ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international) to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes.
|Year||Content and implementation|
|All students follow the EDUQAS food and nutrition route covering a broad range of topics and disciplines.|
Principles of Food Preparation and Nutrition
Written examination: 1 hour 45 minutes 50% of qualification
This component will consist of two sections both containing compulsory questions and will assess the six areas of content as listed in the specified GCSE content.
Section A: questions based on stimulus material.
Section B: structured, short and extended response questions to assess content related to food preparation and nutrition.
SUMMARY OF ASSESSMENT
Component 2: Food Preparation and Nutrition in Action Non-examination assessment: internally assessed, externally moderated Assessment 1:
8 hours Assessment 2: 12 hours50% of qualification
Assessment 1: The Food Investigation Assessment
A scientific food investigation which will assess the learner’s knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to scientific principles underlying the preparation and cooking of food.
Assessment 2: The Food Preparation Assessment
Prepare, cook and present a menu which assesses the learner’s knowledge, skills and understanding in relation to the planning, preparation, cooking and presentation of food. These assessments will be based on a choice of tasks released by WJEC annually.
Link to GCSE specification(s)
WJEC Eduqas GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition