We believe homework is very important as it builds on and consolidates work students have done in class. All students are set homework on a regular basis. We ask parents for their support with homework. Checking that it has been done and talking about the tasks that have been set enables parents to monitor and influence the progress of their child.
All students record their work in a homework planner, which is checked by the Form Tutor regularly and signed by the parent. Students who consistently work hard at their homework are always successful at school.
Types of homework
The type of homework set will be relevant to the subject and ability. Types of homework might be:
- Extended Projects
- Collecting resources
- Written work: redrafting, practice questions, planning
- Revision for exams
- Learning for termly tests
- Completion of classroom tasks
- Planning for Controlled Assessment
In Years 10 and 11 the work pupils are expected to do will largely be:
- Planning & preparation for GCSE controlled assessment
- Written tasks which enable pupils to acquire techniques vital for written examinations
- Learning work for regular tests, especially in English, Maths and Science
- Past paper exercises
Students must be encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning and progress and to understand that work done at home will contribute considerably to their ability to achieve success at examination level.